Nowadays, the housing sector is strengthening and growing fast. The competition in the housing sphere is exploding, while promoting the realtor business through traditional marketing or advertising is no longer that effective. Most real estate queries are now done via the Internet, amounting to 90% of people statistically.
Customers are also more likely to apply smart gadgets for their search today. So how can you ensure that your real estate product is visible among the competitors? Real estate app development can provide this broad audience with all the required services and bring new prospects for your business.
Functional Advantages of App Development for Real Estate
A custom application may perform plenty of functions. But to launch a top-rated service, you should consider your customer’s pain points, wishes, and whims in your real estate mobile app development. We break down all housing app users into three types: buyers, sellers, and realtors. Each of these types is looking for particular benefits in your app.
|Benefits for buyers||Benefits for sellers||Benefits of realtors|
|Easy data access||Faster housing sales||Comprehensive information in one place|
|Various filters for a customized search||Increase in market coverage||Daily tasks automation|
|A simple way to communicate||Appealing properties presentation||Increase in market coverage and retention of potential clients|
|One place to answer all claims||Guidance in paperwork||Additional revenue stream|
|Saving time with efficient comparison tools||Brand awareness increases|
|Advice on accompanying paperwork|
You wouldn’t want to rush your development too much, however. Do your homework first. Analyze your ideas, information, and knowledge. See our simple guide to launching your successful real estate app below for a step-by-step process breakdown.
Read more in our eBook: “Top 7 Technologies for Improving Customer Experience in Real Estate through Digitization” or find more information in the web conference recordings: “Digital Transformation in Real Estate”
How to Create a Real Estate App
Developing a real estate app is a multi-component process that involves variety of stakeholders. Understanding the complexities involved and providing tailored solutions can result in successful real estate apps that deliver a seamless experience for buyers, sellers, and real estate professionals. If you are looking to create an app to win on this crowded yet very lucrative and engaging market, read on and find out how to do it, step by step.
Look at the economic environment, consider supply and demand rates in the cluster you’ve chosen, and get comprehensive data about the sector in which you intend to work. This vital step enables us to design a cost-effective real estate mobile app development project.
A preliminary study helps to determine the following:
- Market trends
- Competitors and their methods
- Industry regulations
- Technological know-how
- Statistical patterns
- ROI projections
- A platform that meets revenue expectations
There are plenty of web platforms with the abovementioned data. However, an untrained user may need help understanding. For a complete and reliable analysis, leave the cluster health audit to professionals.
The real estate tech scene is very broad, with various solution options. The specific of this industry is little to no restrictions and compliances. Yes, we should follow the personal data protection principles, but other than that, real estate has no limitations. That gives room for creativity.
So the goal of the initial project implementation phase, which is discovery, is to understand expectations for the future solution, mainly what needs to be covered by it and for what audience. If required, we initiate market research or customer interviews. We choose the most appropriate format and develop an implementation roadmap based on this knowledge.Anna VoznaClient Success Manager, Glorium Technologies
If the result of market research is convincing, proceed to the next step – selecting the core functions and tools.
Selecting your app’s features
When choosing features for a real estate app, you should think about the needs and tastes of your target audience. In general, real estate app features serve agents and customers. Pick one category or target both of them. In the latter case, you can generate more revenue, but keep in mind that it will increase the real estate mobile app development cost, as well.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to choosing your app’s features:
- Define your app’s purpose and goals: Make it clear what your app is for and what you want to do with it. Do you want to offer a full-service property search, make it easy for buyers and sellers to talk to each other, offer special virtual tour features, or focus on a specific niche in the real estate industry? Having a clear idea of what is important to you will help you choose the right features.
- List the mandatory features: To start, make a list of the must-have features for your real estate app. These usually include property listings, high-quality images, search filters (based on area, price range, property type), saved searches, and contact forms. Main features make it convenient for users to look for homes and get in touch with sellers or agents.
- Prioritize any additional features: Once you have the core functionality, decide on the rest of the features based on how important they are to your target group and how much value they might add. Think about adding features like virtual property tours, mortgage calculators, user reviews and ratings, push notifications social sharing options, etc. Focus on features that make your product stand out and improve the user experience.
- Consider scalability and future updates: Think about how scalable your app is and what changes you might add in the future. Leave room for your business to grow and for any new features you may want to add in the future. Your app should be flexible and able to change to meet the needs of the market and evolving user standards.
- Test and get feedback: Once you have an initial list of features, you might want to test them with users or get feedback from a focus group. This will help you confirm the features you chose and find places where you can improve.
Read about the specifics, benefits and trends of the possible features for a real estate app in the next chapter.
Choosing the tech
Once the app’s basic concept has been approved and its significant functions have been defined, go to the technical side. Reaching the top requires as much information on current offerings as possible. This involves substantial data sets.
Use external databases through third-party APIs to avoid running on a dedicated server that hosts all the information you need. An API (or application programming interface) stands for several rules for communicating between databases. APIs may provide data about offers and display them in a mobile or web application.
Let’s list several features that require different technology stacks when developing online housing platforms:
- Log in/Sign up: Make your users free to log in through a browser or social network. You may determine their list based on the audience details.
- Lists and directories: IDX stands for specific regulations, standards, and infrastructure marketers stick to. We need this technology to monitor the details shared from the database to the app. After that, the APIs are added to get adaptable data from the web.
- Advanced search with filters: Multiple ways to adjust your search preferences.
- Mapping: Offering info about the territories the clients are interested in will require third-party APIs.
- 3D tours: Use EyeSpy360 to prepare 3D tours through the dwelling.
- Data storage: Mobile app databases like MySQL may be integrated for this purpose.
- Push notifications: Decide between APN and Firebase SDK for sending messages.
- Language: Android development or IOS development.
While the same technologies can be utilized for developing solutions for various industries, the type of issues to solve differs. In the real estate industry, it is more about algorithmic and computational tasks. So it comes naturally that experts with relevant backgrounds will perform better. That is why at Glorium Technologies, we adhere to the principle of developing the hands-on industry-related expertise of our engineers.Anna VoznaClient Success Manager, Glorium Technologies
This basic technology stack and API comprise the significant functions of any app of this kind. APIs may change along with the tool list you prepare. The more parts involved, the more APIs you’ll have to add. Read more about the programming languages and frameworks commonly used in the real estate app development industry in the next chapters.
The first thing in developing web platforms is to make them feature-rich, reliable, and technically sound. However, making a solid visualization is essential, too. The very first session is often the most decisive moment. Would it be liked or deleted?
Below are specific trends and real estate app development solutions to follow for your customers to enjoy a unique experience:
Simple interface. The service should be simple, user-friendly, and accessible to everyone.
Easy navigation. Refrain from overcomplicating navigation with cumbersome menus. Its absence is equally unacceptable. The menu should be as thought-out and concise as possible. The navigation block should not overlap the main field. Use intuitive icons found in most apps to perform actions. Together, this allows users to quickly and efficiently navigate the service.
Simple backgrounds. Mobile designers create monochrome or blurry experiences that make the app’s navigation and features more expressive. This also reduces loading time and makes user interaction more comfortable.
Cross-page feature. The cross-page feature ensures greater user interest and engagement. This solution has a higher effect on further SEO optimization. You can also integrate analytics tools. This allows analyzing pages and information to keep improving them.
Dark mode. This model has become the new standard for users. Studies show that 87% of smartphone users use their phones every evening for an hour before bed. So, it should be possible to set a dark mode as the interface style.
Design optimization. 70% of app installations result from search queries. The way an app is displayed in search can significantly influence its popularity. You need to pick up a specific color palette, header style, navigation mode, launch screen, and other design elements that are most popular.
The three-click rule. This is an unofficial rule of website navigation. It implies that the user can find anything in less than three clicks.
Swiping gestures. You should discover the gestures used by the user on the service. There are several gestures for you to choose from. Analyze which gestures are most often used by your clients. Only then include them in your design.
Color palette. Be wise when deciding on the color palette. You’d better use more brand colors and place them strategically. Emphasize where readers can find the most relevant information. An excellent color-matching method is the Mood board. It creates a color scheme that evokes the right emotions and provokes the right action.
Gadgets we take with us. Different gadgets (smartwatches, fitness trackers) have recently become extremely popular among users. They have become not just single-tasking devices but have combined many functions. Consider that such gadgets’ information should be delivered concisely and concentrated.
Remember, when users have an abundance of choices, applications that prioritize simplicity and ease of use stand out from the crowd. You’d want to design with the user in mind, ensuring that app’s functionality and features are intuitive and easily navigable, to foster a seamless user experience. An understandable and user-friendly application not only attracts a wider user base but also encourages user engagement and builds up loyalty.
Real Estate App Features
The features listed below are a reasonable basis for a state-of-the-art app. When appropriately combined and framed in an intuitive user interface, these tools will bring in new visitors and likely turn them into potential customers.
Extensive database. Application success relies on the database you add. The broader it is, the more chances it can reach the top.
Registration. Besides formal signing up, offer an option to log in through social networking or a browser.
User profiles. Develop different profile types for each type of customer.
Search query. Each search feature must include such parameters: location, housing type, cost, dwelling/plot area, date of construction, etc.
Categories and filters. This option can make your search easier. The developers can add analytics to the prototype when talking about software implementation. Thus, beta testers and first exploiters will provide their feedback.
Navigation and outside view. Map integration helps your prospects find the right place thanks to its exact location. You can look closely at the area via Google Maps and get a deeper understanding. The Smart Map can identify landmarks or well-known places.
Calculator. It helps obtain up-to-date estimates and loan rates. The usual approach is to use calculator with artificial intelligence and algorithms for working with large data arrays. It displays loan fees, different insurances, commissions, etc.
Virtual tours. Complete visualization through 3D pictures and tours around the facility. Such panorama presents the entire apartment or dwelling before visiting. Clients appreciate this option, so they often use it.
Augmented reality. AR feature allows you to design your interior virtually. Change the color of the walls, select furniture, and update the interior design.
E-signature. Blockchain technology multiplies app security and offers to conclude electronic agreements and make e-payments securely.
Save search results and favorites. Prepare and store your search list. Agents may discover what their customers are interested in so they can offer similar features.
Ratings and reviews. Actual ratings and reviews about realtors, housing conditions, neighbors, and the environment. All users should enjoy the opportunity to leave reviews and set their scores. More people will benefit from the program since they will recommend it to their acquaintances.
Chatbot. This type of real-time consultation deals with frequent queries in no time. Find prompt answers through the FAQ.
Display. This is the way we present visual and motion media. And don’t forget about drawings. Pictures, graphs, and charts are always better than descriptions. Information display is always more attractive and easier to grasp. Well, present the dynamics of house prices in a given area, loan rates, etc.
Push notifications. Messages are sent automatically at various events: new entries, price changes, quotations, promotions, and urgent offers. This provides potential customers with live and exciting information.
Schedule. Here, buyers can look through free dates and plan their appointments. Realtors can run their businesses efficiently.
Note that the number of features in a real estate app directly impacts the cost of development. Each feature requires design, development, testing, and integration efforts, which contribute to the overall development time and resources required. More features increase the complexity of the app, requiring additional coding, UI/UX design, and potentially more extensive backend infrastructure. Additionally, complex features may require integration with third-party services or APIs, which can add development and licensing costs. Therefore, as the number of features increases, the cost of development tends to rise accordingly.
There is no need to chase all these features at once. Go from simple ones to the more complex ones. You can continually refine the gaps later and add more options.
Real Estate App Development Cost
|Development||The more challenging the features you choose, the higher the price will be. Always consider a cross-platform solution to meet all of your customers’ needs.||$27,000|
|UX/UI Design||An original design is required for your app to stand out on the market and foster recognition and loyalty from your customers.||$6,000|
|Quality Assurance||Manual and automated testing ensures full functionality of the app. The testing is required on all stages of development for the best efficiency.||$6,000|
|Project Management||The project manager ensures all stages of development process are completed on time. The PM fees are usually 10-15% of the overall project cost.||$5,500|
The total cost will depend on its complexity. A simple app can cost between $25,000 and $45,000. Nevertheless, advanced platforms may cost over $70,000. The more feature-rich your solution, the larger the fee you pay. Call us immediately. Our experts will run a detailed costing to launch your project.
If you are looking for the optimal real estate app development cost that will bring you desired value, consider hiring your contractor offshore. Hourly rates of software developers vary significantly across different regions.
In the United States, the average hourly rate for experienced developers ranges from $100 to $200, depending on factors such as location and expertise. In Europe, rates also vary but generally fall within the range of $50 to $150 per hour, with countries like Germany and the United Kingdom having higher rates. And while the rates in Asian countries remain unbeaten ($15 to $50 per hour), Eastern Europe, including countries like Poland, Ukraine, and Romania, attracts businesses looking for cost-effective software development solutions without compromising quality with highly competitive rates ranging from $25 to $80 per hour.
At Glorium, we engage the top experienced specialists from Ukraine, Europe, and the US, able to deliver projects of any complexity. Call us today to talk over the details of your project and get a detailed costing from our managers.
At Glorium Technologies, we have a defined time-proven flow for implementing any project:
- Analysis and planning (discovery) – an initial point of our cooperation with the client when we investigate areas for improvement of the existing solutions or define requirements for the future solution, determine the solution plan, technical team composition, and product details.
- MVP design and development – execution of the plan developed within the discovery phase.
- Product growth – the ongoing process of the product roadmap implementation within a tight cooperation with a Product Owner.
Initially, we provide ballpark estimates for each stage so that a client can understand the lower and upper bounds of the cost. The price is adjusted throughout the project implementation based on the rates of experts involved. A client gets a detailed monthly report on project progress and precise calculations.Anna VoznaClient Success Manager, Glorium Technologies
Handle self-development issues
Those who wish to develop their solution independently should know their obstacles. Below is a shortlist of potential issues.
- Too competitive market: There is enormous competition in real estate. Market players try to make a powerful impression on users to gain their preference. Therefore, before starting, study the leading companies carefully. Clearly define and work out your target audience. Consider various aspects. Develop software that provides flawless service regardless of the device. It might be challenging without expert support.
- High-security requirements: Creating such tech implies storing a whole range of sensitive information. It might be user profiles with financial information, as well as current transaction data of your dealers. You must ensure strong security and succeed in preventing any disclosure of personal information.
- Costly development: The more advanced features your project will include, the more expensive it will be. It would be best if you implemented 3D virtual tours, and keyless access systems, among other things, for your audience’s requirements. It’s expensive, but a soft launch model might lower your costs. Contact our consultant. You’ll discover other effective ways to reduce development costs while getting a high-quality final product.
- Lack of necessary skills: Draw up the system requirements for your project. Then you will identify the specialists and skills required to implement your concept. If your team lacks them, it is better to entrust them to professionals. They already have experience in developing real estate apps.
Look at your task list. Can you solve everything at a high level? After all, your business relies on your team’s skills, which will directly affect the quality.
Hire a professional team
Consider whom to trust when projecting your solution. You’d better trust professionals if you want to launch the product on time without spending extra funds.
Being a real estate app development company, we know the price of creating successful software. We have vast experience and plenty of exciting ideas. This knowledge will make your project succeed on all levels: financial, marketing, and communication.
Overall, we follow the scrum framework for managing projects. The typical team composition is illustrated in the scheme below:
For industry-specific projects, the team always includes a superstar – an expert that has already implemented numerous projects in the respective industry and knows it inside out, which allows them to understand the business as well as a client, if not better, know in advance what pitfalls may occur and how to prevent them. Thus we ensure the highest quality of a solution delivered.Anna VoznaClient Success Manager, Glorium Technologies
For real estate app development projects, we employ a team staffed with the following:
- Project manager;
- Front-end and back-end developer;
- Quality control engineer;
- iOS and Android developer;
- UX/UI designer;
- Test team;
- System administrator.
Our team approaches the implementation with complete expertise. Designers, developers, and testers get on well together, so the products bring joy to our customers. Moreover, we keep streamlining the project after each iteration. Our products are consistent, and users enjoy using them.
Tech Stack for Real Estate Mobile App Development
Real estate app development comes with some unique considerations and characteristics that set it apart from other types of app development. Here are a few aspects that make real estate app development special:
- Complex data and advanced search functionality.
- Emphasis on visual content, such as property images and virtual tours.
- Integration of geolocation and maps for location-based search and directions.
- Facilitating communication and collaboration between buyers, sellers, and agents.
- Property management features for landlords and tenants.
- Providing market trends, analytics, and neighborhood information.
- Ensuring security and privacy of sensitive user data.
Due to this unique set of requirements, you would want to look for the teams and software development engineers with experience in the relevant fields. From our experience, the best-performing set of tech stacks, languages and frameworks for real estate is as follows:
- Java: Java is a popular programming language for developing Android applications. It provides a robust and scalable environment for building real estate apps on the Android platform.
- Swift: Swift is the primary programming language for developing iOS applications. It offers a modern and expressive syntax, making it suitable for building real estate apps on the iOS platform.
Mobile App Development Frameworks
- Flutter: Flutter is another cross-platform framework, developed by Google, that uses the Dart programming language. It offers a rich set of UI components and provides fast app performance, enabling the development of visually appealing real estate apps.
- Ruby on Rails: Ruby on Rails is a web development framework that follows the Ruby programming language. It offers rapid development capabilities, simplifying backend development for real estate apps.
- MySQL/PostgreSQL: MySQL and PostgreSQL are widely used relational database management systems (RDBMS). They provide robust data storage and querying capabilities, making them suitable for real estate apps with complex data structures.
- MongoDB: MongoDB is a popular NoSQL database that offers high scalability and flexibility. It is suitable for real estate apps that require handling large amounts of unstructured or semi-structured data.
- Google Maps API: Integrating Google Maps API allows for geolocation-based services, enabling features such as property search, directions, and nearby amenities in real estate apps.
- MapBox: A more budget-friendly geolocation tech with APIs, SDKs, and live updating map data that give developers tools to ensure better mapping, navigation, and search experiences on all platforms.
- AR/VR Technologies: Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR) technologies can enhance real estate apps by providing immersive virtual property tours or 3D visualization of properties.
It’s important to note that the choice of programming languages and tech stacks may vary depending on the specific requirements, budget, and expertise of the development team. Working with experienced real estate app developers will help determine the most suitable technology stack for real estate app development.
Read also – real estate technology trends.