Whatever your company does, sooner or later, you will conclude that you need to automate all processes in the enterprise to increase your efficiency and, as a result, profitability. It is due to the trend towards universal digitalization — according to statistics, 70% of enterprises worldwide consider a strategy for implementing digital solutions or already use it with might and main.
When a company’s management decides on the need to implement specialized software, it has to select between a bespoke software solution and a ready-made application that can be used by both the company and its competitors. Next, we will figure out which option is preferable, highlighting the pros and cons.
Ready-made digital solutions
Ready-made applications are universal IT products created for use by everyone, not by a specific person. It is the software that you can buy from the manufacturer, install on a PC, and use immediately.
Examples of ready-made products are international companies such as Adobe, Abbyy, Corel, Kaspersky, 1C, and other well-known and novice developers.
Such apps have both indisputable advantages and substantial disadvantages.
Benefits of off-the-shelf software, or what you get by purchasing an existing application:
- A product developed based on an analysis of the needs of your market participants. Its functionality, design, and user interface are carefully thought out by the developers and will satisfy the average user’s requirements.
- Significant savings in the company’s budget. The cost of ready-made software is significantly lower than the amount you have to pay for developing an individual product. It is usually separated into all companies that intend to use the program. In addition, do not worry about updating the software — developers usually do this on an ongoing basis.
- Reduced time costs. Having chosen in favor of a ready-made solution, you will not wait until the ordered application passes all the SDLC stages or spend time communicating with developers and making adjustments to the project. All you need to do is choose one of the manufacturing companies, determining whose project best meets your requirements.
- The minimum number of bugs and high-quality technical support. Software checked not only by testers but also by users is less likely to fail. And if controversial issues still arise, you always have the opportunity to contact the support service or refer to the experience of other users.
Disadvantages of universal solutions:
- Universal applications may not meet the demands of your project. Versatile software does not allow you to add features that you need or exclude futile features. And if the functionality of apps is standard in some areas (for example, in accounting, it is reporting, integration with banks, tracking payments, etc.), then companies with a narrow specialization may face problems. For example, a delivery service may need a broader range of filters and menu items for a customer to checkout.
- Payment Pitfalls. Although the initial cost of ready-made IT solutions is lower than individual ones, later such savings can lead to additional expenses. The developer company may charge for software installation, employee training, or licenses. Ultimately, subsequent costs can be higher than the initial cost of applications.
- Possible incompatibility with previously installed applications. It is another unpredictable kind of expenses that may arise if you work with ready-made programs. If new software is not compatible with the existing infrastructure, it must be rebuilt. And if you do not have an experienced IT team, all that remains is to attract an outstaffer for these works. And pay them accordingly.
So, ready-made software is suitable in the following cases:
- The company needs to establish work in a short time;
- It is acceptable to use software with standard functionality;
- The initial cost of the product is crucial.
Why Bespoke software development from GloriumTech is worth attention
Individual or specialized software consists of programs developed exclusively for a customer company, considering all its needs and the specifics of its field. This strategy of automating your tasks seems the most efficient. However, custom software has several disadvantages which should be considered while selecting whether or not to design it.
Advantages of contacting bespoke software development companies:
- Automation of the unique projects. An individual application can be developed for absolutely any organization, even if your company is an innovative startup with a minimum of practical experience.
- Economic feasibility. By purchasing individual software, you pay only for the functionality you plan to use.
- Opportunity to participate in the production process. The GloriumTech team provides bespoke software development services using the Agile methodology, allowing clients to control development, make adjustments to the product and receive interim reporting.
- Complete control over the application. Custom software differs from ready-made software in terms of scalability and the capacity to upgrade at any moment, as well as independence from developer services.
- Victory over competitors. Almost every industry in the modern world has become increasingly competitive. As a result, original software is the finest approach to stand out and display your concern for people and the exclusivity of your services.
- Total integration with existing infrastructure. Making a custom computer program allows you to consider the highlights of all applications as of now running in the venture and minimize the taking a toll of making changes.
- High level of security. Hacker attacks, as a rule, are aimed at software with a large number of users since their main task is to cause maximum damage. Since custom applications have a limited range of users, it is safer to use them.
Difficulties when ordering custom software:
- The process of creating custom software is very laborious and time-consuming. Therefore, if your goal is to get your business up and running quickly for a quick ROI, you should take care to build the right digital solution well in advance.
- The initial cost of unique software can significantly exceed ready-made purchasing solutions. Of course, any cost to develop an individual application is a long-term investment that will pay off over time. But if your budget is limited when creating the software, specific difficulties may arise.
- Misunderstanding with the contractor. Needless to say, when discussing the goals and functions of the future application, misunderstandings can also arise with the regular team. Suppose mobile and web development is also outsourced. In that case, it is important to carefully discuss all your conditions and wishes with the contractor to be fully implemented in the final product.
Bespoke software solutions are optimal for organizations that:
- have the time to develop an application from scratch;
- want to stand out from the competition with a one-of-a-kind digital solution;
- are confident in their IT teams or contractors and can rely on them to develop the right software and support the finished product.
Areas of use of personal software
Of course, custom software can be used in any area, no matter your work. But some organizations cannot get by with ready-made solutions, so for them, the question of choosing between creating and buying an application is not worth it.
Examples of companies that need a bespoke software solution:
- Large marketplaces. Big companies such as Amazon, Alibaba, and others work exclusively with personalized solutions. Ready-made software would not cope with the multitasking of such resources. In addition to placing goods and orders, they need to solve several other tasks, including delivering goods and other logistics processes, inventory, and online payments.
- Banking structures. Firstly, the activities of banks and other financial institutions are directly related to financial risks. Using off-the-shelf software for them would mean daily exposure to the risk of hacker attacks. It would entail a decrease in the level of customer confidence. And secondly, each bank has a specific target audience, and its software should be explicitly focused on it. Some banks rely on mortgage lending, others serve budgetary organizations, and others prefer premium segment customers.
- Transport companies. Taxis, delivery services, logistics companies — they all need to develop custom software. High competition in the transport sector and the narrow specificity of each organization’s activities make it impossible to use standard solutions.
Companies should not forget about bespoke mobile apps development to stay on top of the technological wave. According to statistics, in 2021, users made 230 billion downloads of software for mobile devices. And this means that a high-quality, convenient mobile application can increase customer loyalty and gain an advantage over competitors.
Despite some difficulties that may arise in ordering individual software, this work model remains in high demand. GloriumTech provides bespoke software development services. With us, you can be sure that the finished product meets the highest quality standards and your requirements.